Pages

300 Words...

10.27.2009



So a couple of years ago I took a Creative Nonfiction Writing class. It turned being one of my favorite classes of all time. The teacher was so inspiring and, well, creative (her name was even Merry, common, that screams creativity.) Anyways, she would give us weekly assignments where she would give us a topic like, fear, anger, surprise, etc. and then we would have to write 300 words on it. Sounds easy right? Wrong, when she said 300 words, she meant 300. Not at least 300, we had to write exactly 300 words. No more, no less. Its much harder than you would think. To squeeze it all it or at times, stretch it all out. To make cuts from those precious sentences if you ran too long was sometimes painful. But it did make you really take a close look at your writing. It made you realize what you loved and needed and what you could afford to let go off.

Its such a great exercise that I have decided to start it up again! I will be posting some of my old pieces that I really loved and some new ones. Id love help with topics too! And if anyone would like to join, we could make it a weekly thing, maybe even work on the same topic if we'd like. I think writing with other people helps push you and also inspire! I am very excited about getting back into some structured writing!

Let me know if you would like to join me in writing 300 WORDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts?

par·a·chute

[par-uh-shoot] noun, verb, -chut·ed, -chut·ing.
noun
1.
a folding, umbrellalike, fabric device for allowing a person, to float down safely through the air from a great height.

“But it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once and it’s too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.” — American Beauty