Pages

The Evolution of the Hipster.

12.05.2009

I found this piece and fell in love with it! It was a feature in the November issue of Paste and it was written by Kate Kiefer and beautifully photographed by Josh Meister. It is the evolution of the hipster from 2000 to now. And it is hilarious! Enjoy!


2000: The Emo
The proto-hipster’s white belt and guyliner make for a soulful combination.
2000: The Emo


2001: The Emo Redux
The skulls on her tour-only Death Cab tee don’t match the skulls on her Vans, so it’s not like she’s trying too hard.
2001: The Emo Redux


2002: The Ashton
His PBR trucker hat and faux vintage t-shirt reveal an obsession with “irony.”
2002: The Ashton

2003: The Scenester
A gaudy tattoo appears on her chest, and she is never spotted without her iPod.
2003: The Scenester

2004: The Twee
He adores his rare-vinyl collection and tobacco pipe. Despite 20/20 vision, he wears Buddy Holly glasses.
2004: The Twee

2005: The Fauxhemian
She suffers for fashion, wearing a furry hat, boots and keffiyah even during the warmest months. Her new wrist tattoo is the Japanese symbol for beauty—or at least that’s what the guy at the tat shop told her.
2005: The Fauxhemian

2006: The Mountain Man
He seeks working-class authenticity, taking pride in his full beard and the fact that he’s often mistaken for a homeless person.
2006: The Mountain Man

2007: The Vintage Queen
She shops at retro boutiques and posts Holga photos on her blog. She has said that the koi fish cover-up tattoo on her arm symbolizes “nature and love and peace and stuff.”
2007: The Vintage Queen

2008: The Williamsburg
He thoughtfully hangs shutter shades in the deep-V of his white tee, and he’s often seen walking his fixed-gear bike around town while texting with his iPhone.
2008: The Williamsburg

2009: The Meta-Nerd
By wearing the popular Three Wolf Moon T-shirt, today’s hipster makes a mockery of herself. She has finally completed the full-sleeve tattoo.
2009: The Meta-Nerd

Great right? So "The Williamsburg" is the typical hipster you can see roaming the streets here in Portland. The fixy bike is the stand out! The boyfriend fits into this category. At times he rocks deep Vs and cut of jeans. Oh, and he has the hat from the photo. Too funny!

As for me, I would be "The Fauxhemian". Hehe. I totally rock boots and scarves all summer!

What do you think? Do you fit into one of these?
Which one?

13 comments:

  1. those outfits are so amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I confess...I'm a mix of the Fauxhemian and the Vintage Queen :) what a great post!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures are so cool! I think I'm the Vintage Queen. Minus the tattoo and the peace and stuff haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh god that is SO fucking true. makes me want to vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a riot!
    Love to the hipsters,I'm a mix of The Meta-Nerd
    and The Vintage Queen. No tattoos but I do have blue pannels in my short hair.
    =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted to say thanks for popping into my little part of the world to say hello :) This post is brilliant, I would say. And I think I'm with you- fauxhemian to the max. Although I post Holgas on my blog, so maybe a bit vintage as well?

    Also, I have a joke.

    How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

    Um, it's a really obscure number... you probably haven't heard of it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9.12.09

    this is cute! the girl is very pretty. i love her tattoo piece in her arm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i <3 that. fun blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i'm absolutely thrilled with this!
    love your pages.

    xxx
    Enchanted

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's fantastic! So so true!

    I dunno i try to make sure i never fit into any one of these categories, but i'm definitely guilty of pulling a little from all of them (shhh! don't tell!).

    Digging the blog!

    love&squalor,

    wilde.dash

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts?

par·a·chute

[par-uh-shoot] noun, verb, -chut·ed, -chut·ing.
noun
1.
a folding, umbrellalike, fabric device for allowing a person, to float down safely through the air from a great height.

“But it’s hard to stay mad when there’s so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I’m seeing it all at once and it’s too much. My heart fills up like a balloon that’s about to burst. And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can’t feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life.” — American Beauty